Ruso was born in Santa Cruz, California, and grew up in California and Arizona, attending High school in Culver City, California, her interest in writing music began as a child, evaluating situations which arose in her life and responding in lyric, this interest evolved from singing for church functions to paid wedding performances. Working her way through her Bachelor of Science in Social Cultural Anthropology, at Santa Clara University Ruso was finding work as a backup singer for contemporary artists and doing advertising jingles. Upon graduation, also worked as a teacher in Los Angeles and has completed post-graduate coursework in Elementary and Secondary Education, at UCLA, and collegiate level voice coursework in Vienna, Austria.
Grammy Award winning mixer, Tom Weir and producer Larry Weir encountered Ruso singing at a church performance. Ruso's musical influences are, Karen Carpenter, Aretha Franklin and Barbra Streisand. Streisand's influence has prevalence in Ruso's work, but there is also a note-hitting precision found in Ruso's a cappella offerings that suggests she also studies Celine Dion. The Weir brothers approached Ruso and included her in their production of the film Teen Witch (1989) where Ruso opens the film with "Never Gonna Be the Same Again".
- Rock On tour with Wikipedia:Michael Damian
- "Teen Witch"
- "Dream a Little Dream"
- "The Young and the Restless"
- Stories from My Childhood (also known as Mikhail Baryshnikov's Stories from My Childhood), 1997
- Something About You (1989) (Spain)
- Show Off Cypress/A&M Records (1990)
- Single "Show Off" from the album Show Off
- I Believe in Love Again Cypress/A&M Records (1993)
- Single, "Rolling Ocean" from the album, Power of One - The Songs of Johnny Clegg (May 18, 2008)
- Single, "Deep" from the album ????? produced by Charbel Khayo (2012)
Ruso's debut album Show Off (1990),  was first released in Spain as Something About You (1989) under the Vemsa records on vinyl. A 12" EP single, Show Off was also released in 1990.
|1.||"Something About You"||L. Ruso||4:10|
|2.||"Show Off"|| ||3:29|
|3.||"I'm Gonna Be"||L. Ruso/Michael Parnell||3:56|
|4.||"Good Lovin'"|| ||3:02|
|5.||"Can't Take My Heart"||L. Ruso/Tom Weir||4:13|
|6.||"Never Gonna Be the Same Again" (theme song for the film Teen Witch)||C. Valentine, L. Weir||3:56|
|7.||"Never Look Back" (duet w Michael Damian])|| ||4:15|
|8.||"I Wanna Dance"||L. Ruso||4:10|
|9.||"Hold on to Me"||L. Ruso||4:17|
|1.||"Show Off" ((Dance Mix))||5:04|
|2.||"Show Off" ((Single Version))||3:29|
|3.||"Show Off" ((Power Mix))||4:12|
- Billboard Magazine selected "I'm Gonna Be", which was written by Michael Parnell and Lori Ruso, as a Critic's Choice, "Ruso's sparkling delivery on this mid-tempo, inspirational number is beautifully enhanced by an exquisite saxophone arrangement."
- "A thoroughly entertaining set mixing energetic dance-pop numbers with ponderous adult contemporary ballads, Show Off stands out for two reasons: one, Lori Ruso's simultaneously rockin' and gorgeous vocals; two, solid arrangements that don't strictly adhere to normal protocol of late-'80s/early-'90s Top 40 material. True, the melodies have "1989" written all through them -- in fact, many seem like they would fit perfectly into silver screen flicks of the time. But Ruso has a classically tinted belting style that gives each tune a distinctive stamp, and she is consistently in tandem with the equally vibrant backing musicians."
- —Justin Kantor, AllMusic
I Believe in Love Again
Ruso's sophmore album in 1993 
I Believe in Love Again
- Released: April 16, 1995 Allmusic
- Format: "Cassete/CD"
- Label: Major Records(MJR-39372) Major Musik (1995)
- Producer: Larry Weir, Tom Weir
- Singles: "Rolling Ocean"
|1.||"Great Heart"||Johnny Clegg||4:44|
|2.||"I Believe in Love Again"||L. Ruso||4:14|
|3.||"Rolling Ocean"||Johnny Clegg||4:01|
|4.||"I'm Gonna Be"||Michael Parnell / Lori Ruso||3:57|
|5.||"I'll Always Stay"||Lori Ruso||4:31|
|7.||"At Last"||Lori Ruso||4:13|
|8.||"Fight for Love"||Lori Ruso||4:01|
|10.||"Only Through a Storm"||Lori Ruso||4:04|
|11.||"He Loves Me"||Lori Ruso||4:46|
|12.||"Christmas in My Heart"||Lori Ruso||4:16|
- Dennis Belfield - bass
- John Campbell - keyboards
- Luis Conti - percussion
- Wikipedia:Richard Elliot - saxophone
- Dennis Farias - trumpet
- Denny Fongheiser - drums
- Keith Jones - bass
- Nick Lane - trombone
- Steve Madaio - trumpet
- Chris Mostert - saxophone
- Wikipedia:Novi Novog - viola
- Michael Parnell - bass, keyboards
- Wikipedia:Tim Pierce - guitar
- Ken Rarick - keyboards
- Jim Roberts - saxophone
- Lori Ruso - primary artist, vocals (background)
- Jane Bovingdon Semel - photography, stylist
- Wikipedia:Art Wood - drums
- Wikipedia:Michael Wycoff - vocals (background)